Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Completed top...on to the quilting

I finished the top a few days ago and got my 9 year old to help with the photography.  I am not patient enough to take 100 shots until I get a good one, so bear with me on the quality, or lack thereof, of the photos.
Overall I think the quilt turned out pretty good. 
Placement of the border strips were to be scrappy, but I should have looked at it before just sewing them on.  I would have moved some of the striped fabric. Originally I  had the 2 upper stars diagonal from each other but in the end they ended up next to one another.  However, this did not bother me enough to rip it out and start over.  Remember this was going to be my learning/teaching moment quilt!
This is a close up of one of the stars the contains all 4 ugly fabrics.  Teaching moment ......color value really does make a big difference. The 2 greens and 2 burgandy fabrics are too close in value and blend in and make it mushy looking.
This star turned out fairly well in my opinion.  This was another teaching moment .....Don't use stripes for the middle of the star!
I have the quilt pin basted and ready to start quilting.  I plan to simply outline each ring of the stars and then straight line quilt the open spaces radiating out from the star.  As for the borders, I have no idea what I will do.  I realize I probaly won't get this finished before the deadline, but I have had a wonderful time participating in this challenge.

3 comments:

Diane-crewe said...

well done x

Stacy said...

Very pretty. I want to do a start quilt too.

Jacque T said...

You did a nice job!! Love lessons learned, hu?